Our visitors, especially the ones choosing spring or summer should not miss out a ride with the Pelion train. It is a train coming from old times which follows routes as if they were in the fairy tales The steam-engine train, earlier known as Moutzouris, played a great part in the development and history of Pelion and the whole district of Magnissia. This train was constructed by the Italian engineer Evaristo de Cirico, who was the father of the famous artist Giorgio de Cirico.
Evaristo was the brains behind the evolution and construction of the tracks and the combination of his knowledge and imagination helped this project come true. The construction works of the railway tracks were started at the end of 1894 and the first part of it which joined the town of Volos to the village of Lehonia was completed in 1895. By 1903 the railway network was extended to the village of Milies covering 29kms in total. During this period six bridges were also constructed to help the train journey be completed. Five of these bridges were made of stone and they formed impressive arches whereas the sixth was an iron one.
Find your Room
Get in Touch